Wednesday, April 23, 2008

2007 Tomato -- Speckled Roman

Our hopes were sky high for this tomato. This was by far our best tomato in 2006, producing large, meaty, tasty tomatoes that my wife and I couldn't get enough of. Plant was so heavy it broke the cage and collapsed.

I described the fruit as “hand grenades”. I swear I thought it was still radiating heat an hour after I picked it. A hands down winner in 2006.

Maybe our hopes were so sky high that anything less than perfection in the Speckled Romans would be failure. It was a bit of a dud in 2007. Smaller sized harvests that I could easily get my hand around. A paler color. A fair amount of blossom end rot. Plant didn't grow as high or as heavy though it clearly had better conditions than in 2006.

Still, our neighbor across the street loved it. My mother-in-law loved it, but I believe her Speckled Romans came out better than ours last year.

This plant is a hybrid, a cross between an Antique Roman and a Banana Legs tomato plant. Perhaps the parents of the Speckled Roman weren't as hearty in 2007.



No comments: