Friday, May 7, 2010

More Plants With Tomatoes...

On Wednesday and Speckled Roman had tomatoes on them. Toni's Round, fertilized on evening I staked most of the back yard tomato plants. I fixed the cages where I found that had come apart. I noticed that Black Cherry and Speckled Roman had tomatoes on them. Toni's Round, fertilized on Tuesday, looked slightly better. After these and various other minor chores such as “training” the tomato plants I waited for the sun to get low and began adding tag information to the back yard tomato plant document. The darn thing is already up to 50 pages long.

My wife had moved Saint Pierre to be next to Hungarian Heart. Hungarian Heart is next to our house and flourishing – it's not getting too much sun. Saint Pierre was drying out too quickly and hopefully the move will correct that.

I didn't have too much time to do much Thursday evening. Three back yard tomato plants had new tomatoes on them – Ananas Noire, Principe Borghese and the first volunteer tomato plant in the back yard.

Later, my wife and I visited her parents. Their tomato plants are doing great!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Staked And Fertilized Toni's Round

Yesterday evening I put a stake on Toni's Round and added some fertilizer. But at that point my wife came home with the neighbor's three year old daughter and we had to watch her. Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of fun!

I got her to help out a bit, actually. She helped water the tomatoes in the raised bed. She watered in the fertilizer laid down for Toni's Round. We also tried a bit of an experiment: I laid down a bit of blood and bone meal in a corner of the raised bed and she added the water. I'm trying to get the straw and alfalfa to degrade at a quicker pace.

While checking the garden with the daughter I noticed that Gypsy (one of our happiest tomato plants) has a tomato on it.

After the daughter left I worked on the back yard tomato document for a few hours. After I enter the tomato tag information it will be ready to go.

This morning I added the tag information from the “corner office” to the front yard tomato document. Then I went in the back yard and continued to “train” the tomato plants back there. I'll need to stake most of them in the near future.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Four More Plants With New Tomatoes!

During yesterday evening and this morning I've discovered four more plants with growing tomatoes: Red Boar, Taxi, Lyn's Mahogany Garnet, and Thessaloniki.

I've done a fair amount of work on the on line 2010 Front Yard Tomatoes document, listing the tag information and two links for each tomato. This morning I was going to work on entering the tag information but an injured squirrel in the back yard took up our morning time.

Toni's Round appears to be struggling a bit but all the other tomatoes appear healthy and strong.

Monday, May 3, 2010

20 In The Front Yard, 56 In The Back Yard

We had progress on a bunch of things relating to tomatoes this weekend.

On Friday I added stakes to all the front yard tomato plants and fixed a few cages. I added stakes to a few of the back yard tomato plants. I added fertilizer to the new plants as well to all of the container plants. I fixed the fence around the “koi pond”. I noticed that Nyagous has a growing tomato on it.

None of this took very long. My wife watered all the tomato plants in the ground and that took much longer than the little things I did.

Not as much happened Saturday as car trouble took care of most of the day.

I'm slowly “training” the tomato plants more and more as they grow. There's not much to do now and I don't have to do it every day but that day will come.

We've been planting so fast that I haven't been able to take stock of what's been planted in what location. This was handled next. I had started it on Saturday but didn't get very far. Sunday morning was a cloudier morning which made it much easier to enter the information onto a Net Book computer in outdoor lighting conditions.

On Sunday my wife and I, along with Liz and Ricardo and our “seed lady” went to the LA Garden Show. Liz and Ricardo bought about 7 or 8 tomato plants while we came away with a couple more.

At home we had four more tomato plants to plant. We planted Poma Amoris Minora Lutea in the “koi pond” (and dispatched a couple of large cutworms in the process), planted Hungarian Heart and Saint Pierre in a pot in the back yard. My wife transplanted White Cherry to the side of the container and planted Brown Berry with it. What that we believe we're done planting for 2010!

I dumped the remaining dirt back in the ground used for our soil testing sample. I forgot to mention that the soil test was finally, finally submitted late last week.

I updated our spreadsheet with the today's tomato plantings. We're managing 20 seedlings in the front yard and a whopping 56 in the back yard. Yikes!

On a side note, I was able to identify the plant with no tag that has a tomato on it – Yellow Perfection.

While I had our tomato listing intact it still took a couple of hours to prepare the spreadsheet for 2010. I believe that is fully ready to go.

Also, I've started the documentation of our 2010 tomatoes – getting the information off of the tags or labels on the tomatoes. A couple have already been lost but I'll do my best to capture as much information as possible.

This morning I noted that Violet Jasper has a growing tomato on it.