Wednesday, April 23, 2008

2007 Tomato -- Mr. Stripey

We grew this in 2006 and was the best looking plant of the year (I called it “Studley”) -- straight and tall, but not much production.

Our 2007 version didn't get as tall as the year before but it was much more productive. This plant kept knocking out good sized tomatoes over a pound.

However, I have to agree with my wife in that we're probably not going to grow this one any time soon, at least in the front yard. The first batches were good, bordering on very good. But the heat of the summer caused problems for the rest.

Once you pick it, you have to use it, else it may go bad pretty quickly. Another problem was having the west facing side too ripe while the east facing side wasn't ripe enough. It bruised rather easily. It became wobbly – you didn't know what to expect.

If I were to grow this again, I'd grow it in the back yard underneath the lemon tree. But not this year.


No comments: