Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Harvested Snow White!

Today's harvest includes 32 Orange Paruche, 24 Sunchocola, 7 SunGold, 3 Sugar Snack, 3 Earliana, 2 Snow White (new), 2 Bloody Butcher, 2 Husky Cherry Red(1), Yellow Perfection, Janet's Jacinthe Jewel, Bread and Salt (9 ounces), Hungarian Heart, Husky Cherry Red(2), Garden Peach(2) and Green Grape for a total of 82 tomatoes.

I spent a fair amount of time last night taping the larger tomato plants. Adriana's Grande, Sunchocola, Hungarian Heart, German Orange Strawberry, Orange Paruche, Garden Peach(2) and a few others got the tomato taping treatment. I added another stake to Garden Peach(2).

I have some concern that Sunchocola may fall over. The plant is in a large, strong cage. But as I harvest the lower hanging fruit, the plant has become somewhat more imbalanced. The plant will "shift" depending on how I readjust the plant. It's not so much getting tall as the top of the plant is getting wide and flowing everywhere. Think a top heavy ice cream cone. If I stake it it'll need about three stakes outside the cage to trap the cage in place.

Both my wife and I agree that we don't get the Cola taste from our Sunchocola, but we love the tomato. When we tried it at the tomato tasting party last year Loteria Grill, we could taste the Cola undertones. But it's a prolific, pretty and tasty tomato for us.

The German Orange Strawberry plant is amazing. It's now about 7 and a half feet tall and growing like a cyprus tree. Sooner or later I'll have problems with the plant but for now it's perfectly behaved. No maturing fruit yet.

Speaking of which, the two Persimmon plantings (not Persimmon) have maturing tomatoes. And it looks like an Ananas Noire is just starting to mature, but is probably a week away.
 

No comments: