Saturday, June 23, 2012

Harvested Green Grape, Ella's Pink Plum and Yellow Currant!

Today's harvest includes 10 Husky Cherry Red(1), 8 SunGold, 5 Husky Cherry Red(2), 4 Green Grape (new), 4 Sweet Baby Girl, 3 Yellow Perfection, 2 Yellow Currant (new), 2 Ella's Pink Plum (new) Sweet Million and SunSugar for a total of 40 tomatoes.

We were anticipating harvesting the Yellow Currant and Ella's Pink Plum tomatoes but the Green Grape tomatoes came as a surprise! I noticed them yesterday evening. The Green Grape tomatoes look fantastic! I'll have a couple more to harvest tomorrow.

I harvested a couple of Yellow Perfection tomatoes a little sooner than normal. These were literally touching the ground. We have a small pile of uneaten tomatoes, and they'll just join the pile.

Other plants with maturing tomatoes include Noire Charbonneuse(1), Thessaloniki and Carmello.

I did a little more trimming, training, staking and looking for maturing tomates yesterday evening. At this point I'm more fighting for maneuvering room with the training than anything else. These plants are already quite tall.

Update: Our toy poodle was barking in the back yard most of the morning, to the point where I was getting somewhat annoyed. I brought him inside when I intended to start this blog post. As I was typing, he clearly wanted to go back out. Eventually he started to scratch the door. My wife decided to let him out, but she followed.

Turns out we had trapped an opossum in a HavaHart trap. That in and of itself isn't unusual, we have to do that once or twice a year. What made it unusual is that we didn't bait the trap! The opossum went in there all by himself (or herself). Now we know what our poodle was excited about.

On the way back in the house, I asked my wife to check out Ella's Pink Plum. She tested them and found them ready to harvest. I hadn't finished posting today's blog so I added them to today's numbers.
 

No comments: