Friday, June 19, 2009

Harvested Two New Tomatoes Today!


My wife watered the back yard earlier today. That's quite a chore – it took her around two hours for all the plants, vegetables and flowers.

Today we harvested 5 Yellow Perfection, 2 SunSugar, 2 Sweet Olive, Red Grape and two new tomatoes: Beaverlodge Plum and (yesterday's) Cherokee Purple!

We tried the Beaverlodge Plum and we both thought was okay. I called it a “support” tomato (one that belongs in a sandwich or a salad). My wife called it a sauce tomato because there appeared to be very few seeds. But this is a determinate container plant so I just don't think there will be enough of these tomatoes for a sauce. Nevertheless I see her point.


I didn't get a chance to mention that we tried Yellow Perfection yesterday and while we both liked it, my wife loved it. It's a typical yellow tomato, somewhat smooth with little or no acid taste. As mentioned in the last paragraph I think of this as a “support” tomato. I had it in my sandwich and it worked great. If we find it I'm sure we'll continue to grow this one year after year.

In looking over the 2007 spreadsheet I'd say we're comparably behind by 2 – 3 weeks. Projecting based on the 2007 numbers means we'll be harvesting 100 tomatoes in about three weeks, around July 10.

A dozen tomatoes isn't worth getting excited, but harvesting from six different tomato plants is a good early sign.


No comments: