Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Harvested Six Tomatoes; Two More Plants with Tomatoes


Yesterday afternoon my wife harvested four Sweet Olive and two Sweet 100 tomatoes.

I should also mention that on Monday, she watered the back yard tomatoes. During the afternoon she watered the front yard tomato plants in the “koi pond” while I watered the tomato plants in the “corner office”.

While watering, I noticed that Vintage Wine had a tomato! Vintage Wine is the first tomato plant planted in May with a tomato. This is another indicator that the front yard tomato plants mature faster than the back yard tomato plants due to the fact the front yard tomato plants get more direct sun than the back yard tomato plants.

Also, I've agreed with my wife to have her look into getting a freezer. I think we're going to have a very good year, tomato wise.

Later in the evening, I completed the (re)paper-mulching of the back yard tomato plants. Mulching is really never “done” as the paper mulch settles or blows away. But it can be relegated to a background task. The next tomato plant chore is to remake some of the “moats” around the tomato plants.

Our Manchester Terrier picked off another tomato, about an inch around from one of the plants. That brings to mind another chore – tying some twine below the lowest rung of the back yard tomato cages to keep him out of the plant! My wife may do some of this but regardless, I'll do it when I get to another chore – cutting off tomato branches that are growing into the ground. If the weather holds out I can get all of this done within a week.

In the morning I “trained” all the plants again. I noted that some branches to Sweet Olive were removed, probably pruned by my wife. SunSugar appears to be the next tomato plant with maturing tomatoes. And Gardener's Delight has a tomato on it. Unlike a couple of weeks ago when I announced it had a tomato and it turned out to really be Turkish Striped Monastery that had a tomato, it's true this time.

Yellow Perfection is actually at least 5 ½ feet tall.


No comments: