Sunday, June 8, 2008

Cherokee Chocolate

I've mentioned previously how well Cherokee Chocolate appears to be doing. It's only about 2 feet tall, but it has tomatoes and blooms everywhere. This is already a candidate for the most productive beefsteak for 2008.

I showed this plant to my wife, saying how it looked like a happy plant and all the other things in the last paragraph. Take a look at the picture below.




Her first thought was that it looks like a cluster (or vine) tomato, where you get five or six on each row. By golly, it sure looks like a cluster tomato.

Is this a great producing beefsteak tomato of a mislabeled cluster tomato? Let's wait and see.



6 comments:

gyshen said...

Hi I seem to be having a similar situation. I bought what was labeled as a Cherokee Chocolate, which is supposed to be even bigger than Cherokee Purple, and it's coming in in clusters. How have yours developed? I'm in Toronto z5

Socaltomatoes said...

It's funny, but I was doing research about Cherokee Chocolate just before you posted this!

What I have clearly isn't Cherokee Chocolate. The ripened tomatoes are red.

I'll have a blog post on this later today. Be on the lookout for it!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Well I guess purchasing Cherokee Chocolate wasn't such a great idea after all. Did everyone else purchase these Cherokee Chocolate seeds from TomatoFest?

Socaltomatoes said...

My notes indicate that I got this plant from the Tomatomania sale in early April.

But, where did Tomatomania get their Cherokee Chocolate plants? That I don't know. It's certainly possible that it traces back to Tomatofest.com.

Did you see my recent blog post on this subject? Does my description for the tomato match what you see in your garden?

Anonymous said...

Bill, Mine have not started flowering yet; I ordered them from TF started them from seed the last week of May. I saw your note about getting it from TomatoMania right after I made my post; I called the Tapia Brothers Farm and all of the tomatoes from that event were grown on the Tapia Brothers Farm so it looks like I may be in the clear. But if you wanted to talk to anyone about it then it would have to be TomatoMania. :D

Socaltomatoes said...

Tapia Bros -- That's where the Encino Tomatomania event is located, that's where I got my "Cherokee Chocolate"!

Eventually, I will post an image of my "Cherokee Chocolate". I tried shooting some pictures this morning but I wasn't happy with the results.