Saturday, July 4, 2009

Two More Plants With Maturing Tomatoes


Today's harvest includes 19 Red Currant, 14 Yellow Perfection, 5 front yard Paul Robeson (one 6 ounces), 3 White Currant, 3 Italian Ice, 3 Sweet Olive, 2 Red Grape, 2 Sweet 100, Patio, Turkish Striped Monastery, Cherokee Purple and Snow White for a total of 55 tomatoes.

Now I have an idea as to how some of the unripe Red Currants fall down – me, harvesting the good ones. My hands are so big that in reaching the mature ones I knock down some of the immature ones on the way. I don't think that explains them all, though.

Husky Gold and Quedlinburger Freuhe Liebe have maturing tomatoes.

Husky Gold is funny in that there's no tomato lower than six inches from the bottom of the plant. That's just about the height that the Manchester Terrier can reach (it's in a container) and I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

I did some minor taping and staking last evening. One of the plants staked was Quedlinburger Freuhe Liebe. This plant wouldn't be where it's at today without my wife's rescue when the plant was vandalized.

We both tried Turkish Striped Monastery and liked it.


No comments: