Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Harvested First Back Yard Tomato!


Yesterday I picked 55 Red Currants, a Husky Cherry Red, a Garden Peach and a Prairie Fire tomato.

At night, our Manchester Terrier had picked off a tomato. I went out and put up one of our green metal fences.

Today we harvested 3 Prairie Fires, 43 Red Currants, 7 Husky Cherry Reds and for the first time, White Bush!

But...the Manchester Terrier picked off several Cherokee Chocolate tomatoes, including ones that were ripening. I picked off the other ripening Cherokee Chocolate tomatoes and put them on our windowsill. Also, I took the tomato wire and wrapped it around the plant a couple of times. While I was talking to my wife, he went right back to the plant to pull out another one. I had to hang up and let him know not to do that.

I put paper mulch underneath several of the tomato plants in the front yard and a couple in the back yard.

Salisaw Cafe has four tomatoes that are turning color and will be harvested soon.

Cherokee Chocolate – perhaps more accurately, the plant we know to be Cherokee Chocolate – looks like a plum tomato, shaped like a mini-pineapple. The pictures I've seen for Cherokee Chocolate would indicate it should be a typical beefsteak tomato. Who knows what I have here.

My wife and I tried the White Bush tomato. It's a winner.

Two people have told us our Red Currants are delicious. That's great to hear!

So White Bush is the first tomato to be harvested in the back yard. I pulled some Cherokee Chocolate tomatoes and put them on the windowsill but I won't count them until they're truly mature.

My wife doesn't care for Prairie Fire – the skin is too thick. I see (and taste) her point but I'll hold out judgment until I eat a few more.



No comments: