Thursday, June 19, 2008

First Jaune Flamme Harvested!


After work I came home and harvested. 39 Red Currants and 3 Green Grape tomatoes.

At some time I'll move the harvesting to the morning but for now I can handle it in the evening.

I fed the dogs (we have four of them this week). I took some tomato tape and went in the back yard. There were a lot of branches growing near the ground that needed to be picked up.

I used a lot of tomato tape on Stupice. The tomato cage for this plant is too small. Branches have grown over the top of the cage and are bent over due to a lack of support. I used tomato tape to “girdle” all the branches together, then taped individual branches to each other. It's a bit ugly but they're not bent over. Also I taped up the ones dragging on the ground.

Then I went to Polish Pastel. There were several branches dragging on the ground. I fixed them. It appears that Polish Pastel is the most affected by the current heat wave (108 degrees at Pierce College). The plant itself looks great – it rivals Black Krim in size, color and thickness, though a few of the ends of the branches have permanently wilted. The trouble is that most of the blooms have died. Simply put, it's too hot for fruit to set. This tomato plant is too healthy not to get more blooms and hopefully, tomatoes.

So I went to the front yard and did the same thing. I put tomato tape on one of the plants while looking over to Jaune Flamme. Hey, there's a mature tomato on it! I barely touched it and it came off. It was ready. A pleasant surprise!

Update: After dinner, I brought my wife over to a ripe Prairie Fire tomato. My wife decided to pick it.


No comments: