Friday, May 2, 2008

Opossum In The Backyard

I went directly from work to Home Depot, bought a dozen four foot wooden stakes, worked out at the gym, drove home, gave two of the stakes to my neighbor across the street and put in five of them into the ground for additional support for some of the back yard tomatoes.

When we got back from dinner, I made some paper mulch but didn't put it out in the garden. Our dogs found another opossum in the back yard and dealing with the dogs, the opossum and animal control took up the rest of the evening.

This morning I watered the tomato plants a bit lighter that I did last time. I didn't notice any new plants with tomatoes but I didn't look too closely.

Last year on this date, we harvested our first tomatoes of the season, two Sun Gold Cherry tomatoes.

On a side note, perhaps one is wondering why I'm going all out now with the paper mulch, stakes, fertilizer and whatnot. In essence, I'm trying to get “out in front” of all these chores and details before I spend a majority of my tomato time “training” and harvesting the tomato plants. It turns out that I don't do as well as others in the heat of the summer so I'd simply rather do these things now then fight it later.

On the ToDo list: Plant Old Ivory Egg (probably Saturday), finish adding paper mulch to the backyard tomatoes, landscape the area around most of the backyard tomatoes (I'll do this as I add the paper mulch to them), add more stakes as needed, then as time goes on replenish the paper mulch as necessary.


No comments: