Sunday, April 29, 2012

We're Finished Planting Tomatoes For This Year

On Friday my wife planted Indigo Apple(1), Porkchop(2), Black Krim(2), Paul Robeson, Vorlon(2), Jaune Flamme(2) and Chile Verde in the "koi pond". In the evening I made one hole and started another in an area I expected to have a lot of debris -- I wasn't disappointed. I left it unfinished.

On Saturday my wife planted Brown Berry in a pot and Snow White(2) in the south garden. I continued making holes throughout the day. I took out the largest piece of asphalt I've ever dug and completed that hole as well. My wife planted Neves Azorean Red, Marianna's Peace in the bad hole, a wilting Marmara, Gypsy, Amana Orange and Omar's Lebanese. We watered Marmara again, hoping it would come back. The plant showed signs of improvement later in the afternoon.

It was a long, sweaty day for both of us.

In the morning I checked out Marmara. It was a happy plant again!

Today I finished the holes in the "Far East", completing the work in the hard area of the back yard. My wife planted Black Cherry(2), Amazon Chocolate, Noire Charbonneuse(2) and Indigo Apple(2). We took a break and then dug out a small triangular area next to the post for the patio cover. Here we planted Italian Tree.

Before heading out for an early dinner, I took a look at the "koi pond" to see the new plants. Jaune Flamme(2) was wilting. We gave it some water and left for dinner.

When we came back, Jaune Flamme(2) had clearly improved, so we gave it some more water. Then we planted White Zebra in the "koi pond" and Pierce's Pride(2) in the "corner office".

We now think we're done planting tomatoes for 2012!

Making holes in the back yard has been exhausting. I've dragged through work a couple of times more than I would like and would like to work out again!

I need to add cages to the plants and clip the low hanging stems that are hitting the dirt, but that's trivially easy compared to digging holes with rock and asphalt.

Onward and upward!
 

No comments: