Friday, October 23, 2009

No Back Yard Tomatoes Harvested Today


And today's harvest includes 14 Snow White(2), 2 Babywine, Mong and Silvery Fir Tree for a total of 18 tomatoes.

What's notable in today's harvest is there were no back yard tomatoes in the bunch. I found a ripened tomato on Green Zebra(1), but it had just enough of an open crack in it that I put it in our compost pile.

Originally I couldn't find any Snow White(2) tomatoes. But I looked in areas I normally don't look and kept finding two tomatoes here, two tomatoes there.

You have to trust me on this but it's actually a bit difficult to harvest from this plant. The plant is quite bushy. It's traveled up the chicken wire fence and completely down the same fence. So it's twice as thick in spots as compared to Snow White(1). And it's hard to move branches this late in the season without breaking them. There are areas that aren't as explored as others and I tapped that today with good success.

Italian Ice actually has one more tomato on it, so it will be spared. Yellow Perfection has a tomato ripening on the vine and when that is harvested, it will go. Silvery Fir Tree and Jaune Coeur de Pigeon are ready to be pulled.


No comments: