Monday, October 19, 2009

Back From An Out Of Town Conference


Today's harvest includes 6 Snow White(2), 5 Babywine, 5 back yard Husky Cherry Red, 2 Old Ivory Egg, 2 Red Grape, Snow White(1), White Currant, Sweet 100, Italian Ice and Cuor de Bue for a total of 25 tomatoes.

I haven't harvested in a while because I was out of town at a conference. I got back in the late evening. Here's some random thoughts after being away for a while...

The fence surrounding the “koi pond” is being bent on the west side due to the weight of the tomato plants growing on it.

I'm surprised at the low count for the Snow White plants. It is what it is.

Snow White(2) has a bunch of brand new blooms. It is the healthiest remaining plant.

A caterpillar or two is eating the Mong tomato plant, but I couldn't find any this morning.

A lot of tomatoes had to be tossed due to cracking. That's an indication of a cold night following a hot day. The internals of the tomato heat up faster than the tomato can grow. This was disheartening for Old Ivory Egg. Four were harvested but two were cracked beyond usability. I kept two but my wife may toss them.

There's at least four tomato plants in the back yard that can be pulled. Cour de Bue, Pierce's Pride, Turkish Striped Monastery and Amazon Chocolate can go.

The ground is still damp in both the front and back yards. That's an indication we must have had quite a storm last Tuesday/Wednesday.

These conferences wear me out. I need more sleep.

We've now harvested 250 Sweet 100 tomatoes.


No comments: