Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It Isn't Cherokee Chocolate...


I have a plant labeled Cherokee Chocolate...but it clearly isn't Cherokee Chocolate. Cherokee Chocolate a typical beefsteak in size and obviously a dark brown color. An image can be found here.

The original plant came from the Encino Tomatomania event.

A picture of the plant I'm growing can be found here.

What am I growing? It appears to be a red cherry tomato of some type. The tomato is shaped like a tiny pineapple for lack of a better analogy, about ¾ inches tall, flat top, more rounded bottom, taller than it is wide. I've seen several images on the net that look like it, but there's nothing I've seen where I go “That's it!”. At times a Juliet tomato looks a lot like this tomato, but Juliets get too big. This picture of Grape tomato is close, but the tomato I'm growing is a bit more squat than that. This picture of a Sprite tomato is fairly close, especially with the mottled tomato in the lower center whose color could be mistaken for brown but is in fact a day or two away from full red maturity. But there are too many tomatoes per cluster for it to be Sprite.

Sooooo....I don't know what I'm growing, but it isn't what the label indicated.


1 comment:

Chuck Bartok said...

Bill, We love the Heirlooms also.
You may enjoy watching the weekly video on our Tomato patch here in Northern California.


Just visit Growing Tomatoes for health and Wealth

Please rate them and comment, we love feedback
Chuck