Saturday, January 5, 2013

December 2012 Tomato Analysis

Well, if it weren't for a mid-month freeze we'd still be harvesting today. Let's see how this month's harvest of 404 tomatoes compares with other years.

2007 -- 0
2008 -- 6
2009 -- 39
2010 -- 90
2011 -- 140

Better every year! But 404 tomatoes for this year is more than double any other year.

Our last harvest of the year was on December 23 when I harvested 8 tomatoes off the ground.

By the way, that reminds me of a funny story. The day before I harvested 79 tomatoes. But as mentioned previously, a fair amount were on the ground and if I touched the SunGold plant, more fell. So on the 23rd, after all the plants had been pulled, I began looking for harvestable tomatoes left on the grounds. I'd carefully inch closer. "Pop!" Stepped on a tomato I didn't see. Another step. "Pop, pop!" Backed up. "Pop!". The tomatoes on the ground were littered *everywhere*. We're going to have SunGold volunteers everywhere next year whether we like it or not (we'll like it).

Out of the 404 harvested tomatoes in December, 401 were SunGold tomatoes.
 

No comments: