Thursday, May 7, 2009

Two More Tomatoes Planted


Okay, yesterday I planted the last two tomatoes, Silvery Fir Tree and Vintage Wine in the “corner office”. As for now, there are no more tomatoes to plant.

My wife watered both the front and the back yard tomatoes on Tuesday. She watered the back yard tomato plants again yesterday. They had dried out in the heat and the dry winds.

Sweet Olive and Sweet 100 were doubled over due to the winds. My wife and I strung them up against the bamboo poles planted in the container.

The plants with new tomatoes are Patio, Beaverlodge Plum and Yellow Perfection. There was also a growing tomato on Silvery Fir Tree, but it was removed. To repeat, in the beginning, I worry more about the roots going down than I am the plant growing up. Having a tomato growing when planting distracts the tomato plant from making solid roots and stems.

As I was updating the on line tomato documents (and I believe they're fully up to date again) I realized that Silvery Fir Tree is a small sized, determinate plant good for containers. Having that foreknowledge, I may have left the tomato on the plant (it had the same serious root bound problems that Red Currant had). At the very least, I need to exchange the cage for the temporary one put on one of the Green Zebra tomatoes.

If my count is correct...we have 57 tomatoes in the ground. Tom – you win!


No comments: