Thursday, May 15, 2008

First Tomato Harvest!


I picked the two Red Currants this evening. However, I would have liked to have kept them on the vine a little bit longer. The more ripe one was attracting gnat like bugs, so I pulled them both and put them on our windowsill in the kitchen.

Earlier this morning I noticed a tomato on our front yard Zhezha. It looked large enough to have been there a few days. This is our first tomato grown from seed.

It was very warm today. When I got home I watered down the clay pots in the front yard.

I took close looks at most all of the tomato plants. Green Grape has at least three tomatoes on it. Thessaloniki and Black From Tula have at least one tomato on it.

Purple Russian, RIP. Whether it was the heavy watering that put it under or the water attracted cutworms which finished it off, or both, it doesn't matter. It's withered now.

Italian Market Wonder, White Bush and Cherokee Chocolate have at least one tomato on it. The White Bush plant continues to impress – it's nearly as tall as Yellow Brandywine. The Cherokee Chocolate tomato looks like it's been around for about a week, it's nearly the size of the harvested Red Currant.


No comments: